Western society has become obsessed with demanding the very latest and best for our children. Whether its educational toys, car seats, furniture or strollers manufacturers churn out a new and better model every year. The consumer demand is based on a desire to provide a safe and secure environment where the child can be healthy and happy. All this is very good except we seem to be more concerned by what goes into a child’s environment than the environment itself.
The perfect playroom is not just about educational toys, care should also be given when designing and decorating the room. Consider the following:
- PAINT – select an ECO based safe paint, with no VOC emissions. Most national brands offer one in their assortment.
- WINDOW COVERINGS – avoid window blinds with cords, roll up shades or cordless blinds are readily available.
- FLOORING – for the healthiest option choose a HARD surface floor vs broadloom. Area rugs and carpet trap dirt and germs and are not easy to clean. Look at a luxury vinyl tile with water resistant, anti mould and mildew properties. The color and design options are endless and a Gerflor is always comfortable under foot and safe.
- FURNITURE – select the right scale of furniture for your child so he or she doesn’t have to climb to get what they need. The right scale allows them to tidy and pick up after themselves (you may live in hope this behaviour will continue into their teens – it never does)
- SAFETY FIRST – make the investment in safety covers for electrical outlets, baby locks for cupboard doors and door handle covers that prevent them going into a room that is off limits.
- LIGHTING – the safest option is installed overhead lighting versus easily tipped over portable lamps with electrical cords.No doubt you may not find this list of design ideas very exciting but if you combine these features with bright fun color, lively music and lots of games it will keep your child happy, healthy and safe.
Interior Views by Cheryl Grant
Follow us, Like us, ask us any question or just say hello...
© 2017 All rights reserved Gerflor